How to get a user's oauth_access_token client-side like facebook, for server side integration

aproximation
@aproximation Wade McDaniel

In facebook I can get the user's authId relatively easily client-side. How would I do this via twitter on an AJAX site?

In the psudo-code below I get the Access Token if the user is logged in and pass that server side so I can do a server-side post. And if the user is not logged in/connected then facebook throws up a dialog that lets them log in, then returns (without refreshing the page) and executes a function that I can then get at the Access Token from.

Can this be done in twitter javascript, perhaps with @anywhere?

Thank you for your help!

1.         if (FB) {
  2.             FB.getLoginStatus(function(response) {
  3.                 if (response.status === 'connected') {
  4.                     $.getJSON(window.page.services + "StoreAuthToken", { type: "facebook", socialId: response.authResponse.userID, authId: response.authResponse.accessToken, expiresInSeconds: response.authResponse.expiresIn }, null);
  5.                     window.dialogs.loadFacebookOverlay({ href: href, image: image, description: description, socialId: response.authResponse.userID });
  6.                 } else {
  7.                     FB.login(function(response) {
  8.                         if (response.status === 'connected') {
  9.                             $.getJSON(window.page.services + "StoreAuthToken", { type: "facebook", socialId: response.authResponse.userID, authId: response.authResponse.accessToken, expiresInSeconds: response.authResponse.expiresIn }, null);
  10.                             window.dialogs.loadFacebookOverlay({ href: href, image: image, description: description, socialId: response.authResponse.userID });
  11.                         } else { /* user cancled */ }
  12.                     }, { scope: 'share_item' });
  13.                 }
  14.             });
1 year 11 weeks ago

Replies

aproximation

For twitter I've got this so far.

1.         if (twttr) {
  2.             twttr.anywhere(function(T) {
  3.                 if (T.isConnected()) {
  4.                     /* how do I get the auth token here? /
  5.                     window.dialogs.loadTwitter({ href: href, image: image, description: description });
  6.                 } else {
  7.                     / a pop-up is blocked - any way to allow it? */
  8.                     T.signIn();
  9.                 }
  10.             });
  11.         }

My questions are:
* How do I get the auth token if the user is already connected?
* The signIn tries to open a window but is blocked by the browser: is there a way to avoid this?

1 year 11 weeks ago
aproximation

I've made some progress. Now all I need is the auth token so I can do my server-side stuff.

I call the anywhere function like this

1. $(window).bind("load", function(e) {
  2.     if (twttr) {
  3.         twttr.anywhere(function(T) {
  4.             window.twitter = T;
  5.         });
  6.     }
  7. });

Then I can call the signIn() without the pop-up being blocked. The problem is that the when I call window.twitter.bind("authComplete", function(e, user) { /* user data doesn't have the auth token */ });
So I can't send the auth token back to my server along with the user.data("id").

Now, how can I get the auth token now that I'm connected?

1 year 11 weeks ago
episod
@episod Taylor Singletary

@Anywhere is deprecated. It will be retired on March 5th, 2013. I wouldn't recommend using it.

API v1.1 and OAuth 1.0A aren't meant to be used through client-side Javascript. For the most part, what you're trying to do isn't possible using the API today.

1 year 11 weeks ago
aproximation

Lol, that figures that it's deprecated.
(I love your profile pic BTW!)

We're trying to mimic how the New York Times iPad app does twitter sharing - through a custom dialog that lives in an overlay, not a pop-up window. Are you saying that there currently isn't a way to do this?

If there is a way to do this is there some documentation somewhere on what endpoints we can converse with to allow a user to approve our app, get authentication and post a tweet? I can't find anything anywhere.

Thank you for your help!

1 year 11 weeks ago