easy way of get users' twitterID and email?

carolhutest
@carolhutest carol

I want to put a plug in on my website for "login with twitter", and my website needs to get user's twitterID and email after user allows my twitter application to access their data. I looked through the twitter dev documents, but it seems always all about OAuth with complicated examples. Is there an easy way to do this? I already put the same kind of plugin for facebook, and it is very simple. Thanks!

2 years 32 weeks ago

Replies

mastermike14
@mastermike14 michael mesicek

verify_credentials will return the users's twitter id and screen name among other things. The Twitter API does not return a user's email address

2 years 32 weeks ago
sonusindhu10
@sonusindhu10 Sonu Sindhu

How to get the email address of twitter user with twitter api.Can anyone help me i want to use this in website.

2 years 25 weeks ago
kurrik
@kurrik Arne Roomann-Kurrik

If you want to get a user's email, you should just ask for it. The Twitter API does not return email addresses.

2 years 25 weeks ago
luckyharsha
@luckyharsha Harsha vardhan

I did n't understand what means ' you just ask for it '.Could you please explain me

2 years 21 weeks ago
episod
@episod Taylor Singletary

Within your application you would ask the user for their email address and provide an input field for it. You can't obtain it from the Twitter API -- you have to directly ask the user to provide it to you.

2 years 21 weeks ago
lname14
@lname14 Firstname

@episod

Hi,
Adding email address on my application's interface means i have to create a form and take an email address from user OR is there any way to add such custom field in the login form your API is providing?

Thanks

1 year 13 weeks ago
luckyharsha
@luckyharsha Harsha vardhan

carol, Can I know how you get the facebook user's email address using facebook api.I didn't get my facebook email address itself.Please,provide me the solution to get user's email addresses.

2 years 21 weeks ago
kurrik

This is not the correct place to ask for support for the Facebook API.

2 years 21 weeks ago
jaspherejash
@jaspherejash Arex L. Pantallano

hahaha....@kurrik tnx for making me laugh... this is twitter blog not fb... hahahahaha

1 year 48 weeks ago
pateljigar8818
@pateljigar8818 Jigar Patel

you can use graph api to get email of your facebook account using fb api

1 year 10 weeks ago
funky_monkey79
@funky_monkey79 Rajiv Shrestha

if one cannot get the email using the oauth facility whats the point in that? you guys do know most of the apps today use the email address for user identification.

1 year 7 weeks ago
mob_dev
@mob_dev ram

hello

1 year 42 weeks ago
NickLondon_31
@NickLondon_31 Nick G

Kurrik, so if Twitter does not return the email address...

can you put an interface and ask the users to input their email address and use this entry to automatically populate the username or email address field of twitter API?

2 years 21 weeks ago
kurrik

This is something the application should do using its own user interface.

2 years 21 weeks ago
mzahidimran
@mzahidimran Muhammad Zahid Imran

hmm ok

2 years 17 weeks ago
jackbrown00001
@jackbrown00001 JACK BROWN

i want email id after login to my api , so is it possible to get it?

2 years 3 weeks ago
episod

As has been said in this thread -- no, it's not possible to get it. You'll have to ask a user for it yourself.

2 years 3 weeks ago
yalojugaste
@yalojugaste yalojugaste

then twitter api is simply useless for auth, if you do not have the email adress you cant "sign up" or "login" socially and if i have to ask the email and the has to confirm it via email there is not real gain against traditional "sign up" , i hope twiter dev team understand it, facebook and google+ do.

Thanks

1 year 31 weeks ago
lidya1859
@lidya1859 Dewi Rosalin

even with web intent?? i use web intent and i'm just looking for the way to get the username..just for checking if someone has already click the button in one day..i mean,,one person one click..maybe you could help me sir @episod ,,since i'm newbie here..thank you so much.. :)

47 weeks 1 day ago
mishrami3
@mishrami3 Pawan Kumar Mishra

I want to access the tweets by using Email Address of the People.
Anybody help me??

2 years 3 weeks ago
abhinav141186
@abhinav141186 Abhinav

Did you find any solution for this?
I tried the same but it doesn't work for me.

1 year 7 weeks ago
ahmetkunuc
@ahmetkunuc Ahmet Künüc

Habe auch gleiche probleme :) wenn du schon wast erfahren hast kannst mir bitte melden,ich kucke eben falls für dich auch danke

43 weeks 5 days ago
JohnSoren
@JohnSoren John Soren

Is there a way to get a user ID if you have their username using php? I don't need anything except the ID of the user, and will only have the username (screen name). Can I do this without using the API or having to authenticate the user?

2 years 3 weeks ago
episod

You'll need to use an API to resolve a screen name to a user_id. GET users/lookup is the best source for that data.

2 years 3 weeks ago
alzclarke
@alzclarke Alan Clarke

this is confusing because a lot of developers see third party oauth techniques as a way to conveniently enable users to skip having to manually provide details such as email addresses, which is why most other third-party oauth providers (e.g. facebook, google) add an extra step where the user can grant permission for the application to access basic account information.

1 year 51 weeks ago
Delie
@Delie Andrew Delicata

completely agree

1 year 49 weeks ago
kapv89
@kapv89 Kapil Verma

Totally Agree with this

1 year 30 weeks ago
kaisellgren
@kaisellgren Kai Sellgren

def agree with this one

46 weeks 6 days ago
TheRealCEO2023
@TheRealCEO2023 Kri$hna Harish

Yeahhh i agree we cannot get people's email IDs.....

1 year 40 weeks ago
kendeng9898
@kendeng9898 kendeng

Yes, of cause we can ask the user key in the email. And we can log the user in without use the twitter Sign in. But that's not the case, our app hope make the user don't do register thing again, again and again. And this is openid,oauth,oauth2 promise thing.

Most service provider providing oauth2, but here Oauth. Most provide email, but here No.
Outstanding, good.

empty of sincerity

1 year 33 weeks ago
jude_cal
@jude_cal jude calimbas

Not returning an email is useless, might as well just register the standard way.

1 year 19 weeks ago
santanusoftdev
@santanusoftdev santanu d sabata

I agree for this

1 year 17 weeks ago
OvidelusM
@OvidelusM Ovidiu Muntean

How can I contact an user, from my web page when is not logged in to twitter?
(if no email is avvailable)

1 year 15 weeks ago
asmlitonchowdhu
@asmlitonchowdhu ASM Liton chowdhury

www.linnet-network.com

1 year 15 weeks ago
tomasmat
@tomasmat Tomas M

This is ridiculous. I just implemented oauth to let users sign in using twitter, took me several hours, and then I found out that there is no way to get the email address of the user. Why the fuck? facebook does it, google does it, everybody does it, simply ask the user if he wants to share his email address, that's all! How I am supposed to send the users the requested updates? by using twitter? common... Asking the user for email is bullshit, the whole point of one click registration goes to vain if you keep it this way ...

1 year 13 weeks ago
chalithaw
@chalithaw Chalitha

twitter api Aouth is bloody useless as you cant get users email adress wile sign in with twitter...

1 year 13 weeks ago
bikashpal2008
@bikashpal2008 Bikash

Where can i request for e-mail id?please send me the link

1 year 12 weeks ago
mannyvergel
@mannyvergel Manuel Vergel

I hope Twitter supports this feature. Please see my blog for my request.

1 year 11 weeks ago
25friends_twts
@25friends_twts 25friends

Agree with the majority. Without email, I can't use Twitter as a registration alternative.

1 year 10 weeks ago
RajibMajumser
@RajibMajumser Rajib Majumder

I want to create a module which will be "my website login and registration by using twitter login". So I want to know, how to get user's email address which will be help me to complete registration for that user. If twitter have not provided user's email address then also please inform me.
Thanks.

1 year 5 weeks ago
bandsampah

No email returned?
Man, I don't wanna live on this planet anymore.

1 year 4 weeks ago
Sebastian_Poell
@Sebastian_Poell Sebastian Pöll

The vast majority of Webapps use the email-address for identifying their users.
As already mentioned, this makes the Twitter-API pretty useless for authentication.
Yes, we could ask for the email-address within our applications but what's the point of doing this?
The efford to the user would just be the same as if using the regular login/registration form.
For my Website I now go with Google and Facebook only.
Maybe one day, you Twitter-Devs will see sense...

1 year 3 weeks ago
juanMartinengo
@juanMartinengo Juan Martinengo

Si twiter no devuelve los datos del usuario es una terrible porqueria. necesito el usuario y clave del usuario.

1 year 1 week ago
ReviewsandKo
@ReviewsandKo Koren

Thanks Tweeter for respecting users privacy.
I don't care if Google or Facebook do that. Email is private and it should not be sent to third party sites even when we use their service to authenticate. The users don't know the email will be sent.

50 weeks 3 days ago
testUseNoFollow
@testUseNoFollow Test User

What are you talking about? Just two different scopes, one with email and one without would be enough! Email belongs to user, not twitter, so it's up to user to decide if (s)he wants to disclose it or not. The point is that users WILL KNOW if email is sent if they make this choice.
Two+ years developers are asking about this and Twitter redirect our words into > nul. That sucks as many people says. Sign in with twitter to get what? Twitter Id? And how do I know that user already exists in my app? Ask them for email? If so then why would I need all this sign in with twitter? To simplify login to my app? Come on!

48 weeks 6 days ago
mckenzie______
@mckenzie______ Brendan McKenzie

Couldn't have said it better myself.

43 weeks 6 days ago
carlchampagne
@carlchampagne Carl Champagne

It's even worse. Say Bob signs up via twitter but gives me steve@example.com, i.e. not his email address. Then Steve signs up via twitter and tries his actual address steve@example.com. Steve is locked out because Bob stole it. Isn't this one of the situations that external authentication services are supposed to prevent?

42 weeks 2 days ago
lekhnathrijal
@lekhnathrijal Lekhnath Rijal

Well said

37 weeks 18 hours ago
lekhnathrijal
@lekhnathrijal Lekhnath Rijal

I WANT E-MAIL ADDRESS, BUT HOW??

म कसरी ईमेल पाउन सक्छु?

37 weeks 18 hours ago
aLaNrOcKsKa
@aLaNrOcKsKa Alan Godinez