How to get email is using twitter api on callback page using php

nav007neet
@nav007neet Navneet Kumar

i am unable to get email id on callback page using twitter api. please in help me it is urgent.

2 years 30 weeks ago

Replies

kurrik
@kurrik Arne Roomann-Kurrik

Email addresses are not available through the Twitter API. If you need a user's email address, just ask for it.

2 years 30 weeks ago
garrethmcdaid
@garrethmcdaid Garreth McDaid

The whole point of OAuth based sign-in is that you don't have to ask for user details. Why would I not just ask for a password while I'm at it? What's the point of Sign In with Twitter if you have to ask for user details?

1 year 45 weeks ago
AshwinCul
@AshwinCul ashwin mohanty

can u plz provide a link for creating a login API in your website & twitter redirects the user to its page or it simply creates a pop-up for login oauth like Facebook.

29 weeks 5 days ago
BanterMeApp
@BanterMeApp BanterMe

Totally agree. With Twitter being the extreme minority in regards to how they handle OAuth, why aren't they reconsidering?

Of course I'm not going to ask for a user's email on top of getting permission via Twitter, that defeats the whole purpose! This is supposed to save time. If I have to ask for a user's email seperately, then I might as well follow my own signing-up process sans Twitter altogether.

A shame.

16 weeks 15 hours ago
javidjamae
@javidjamae Javid Jamae

No, that's not "the whole point" of OAuth at all. The whole point of OAuth is to let a 3rd-party system manage authentication/authorization for you. Forcing the user to share personal/private information is not part of the OAuth spec: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6749

6 weeks 5 days ago
buesimples
@buesimples Pedro Esperança

still retarded that they don't provide the email.. common sense is more valuable than specs for the real world

3 days 18 hours ago
nateweisiger
@nateweisiger Nate Weisiger

Hey buddy. Quick question...

It has been nearly a year since this question has been asked, and I don't see any recent updates. Surely by now you (Twitter API team) realize the short-sided thinking on this topic. Twitter login will simply not be taken seriously until this issue is resolved. Can you please provide an update for if/when this issue will be resolved?

If the answer is "never", a quick explanation for your reasoning would go a long way. "Just ask for it" is obviously not the answer everyone is asking for as this defeats the purpose of using Twitter login in the first place. As someone pointed out below: It's like getting an axe to break into the toolshed, so you can get an axe from the toolshed.

Thanks!
Nate

1 year 42 weeks ago
funky_monkey79
@funky_monkey79 Rajiv Shrestha

yea totaly agree with you.

1 year 7 weeks ago
1l_padr1no
@1l_padr1no Philip

+1

50 weeks 2 days ago
irvanfauzie
@irvanfauzie iRvan FauziE

UP ..

48 weeks 4 days ago
UnlockPrizes
@UnlockPrizes UnlockPrizes

................. Twitter Devs ..................
So..... ya. Looks like you guys are still sitting around with your fingers in your ears and making noise instead of fixing this problem. It is a problem, just to be clear.

................. Sensible Devs ..................
Here is how I am working around the problem. I am using Facebook, Google and Windows Live and my own custom form, for registration. Then I am offering an opportunity for my users to connect their twitter account, which they may or may not do.

I am leaving the twitter authentication button in place, but with a disclaimer that their twitter account must be already connected to use it. It's incredibly stupid that I have to do this, this way but until Twitter figures out how stupid this is you gotta do what you gotta do.

42 weeks 4 days ago
andrestaltz
@andrestaltz André Medeiros

Yes, "just ask for it" is the right answer. But the right place to ask it, in this scenario, would be the Twitter page asking the user to grant access. Just recognize it and fix it please.

45 weeks 2 days ago
StijnVerrept
@StijnVerrept Stijn Verrept

Spot on!

41 weeks 2 days ago
thinkdj
@thinkdj Deepak Thomas

plus 100

45 weeks 42 min ago
pareshharmis
@pareshharmis Paresh Gothi

@kurrik : any Way to get email of the user?

38 weeks 2 days ago
daya_pl
@daya_pl Daya.pl

Hi Arne, is there some sort of security reason? It makes API way less usable for login purposes that way.

2 years 23 weeks ago
kurrik
@kurrik Arne Roomann-Kurrik

There are a variety of reasons. The API itself is perfectly serviceable for sign in (see https://dev.twitter.com/docs/auth/sign-twitter for a complete description) without needing to resort to an email address - why do you claim it is less usable?

2 years 23 weeks ago
geekcoding
@geekcoding Eduard Luca

It's less usable because, let's assume this scenario. I want to authenticate my app with Twitter. However I want to detect if the user signing in with twitter is already a user in my system (cause otherwise I would redirect him to the registration process which would be wrong, cause he just wants to connect his account with Twitter). Right now I can't do all of this, because Twitter doesn't give me access to the user's email, and there is no other way to link these two accounts.

I know it's not a fair comparison, but facebook does give you this information if you ask the user for a special permission, so why not do the same here? If the user doesn't want to allow the app to see the email, well that's another problem, but the ability should exist. That's my take on this :)

1 year 14 weeks ago
gentra
@gentra Gentra Aditya Putra

Yea, I totally agree with you.

This is one of my case too, I want to check whether the new user from Twitter is already registered on my app or not.

Please consider this, Twitter API team :)

51 weeks 2 days ago
irvanfauzie
@irvanfauzie iRvan FauziE

same case with me .. UP ..

48 weeks 4 days ago
satyashani
@satyashani shani mahadeva

UP Same here

33 weeks 3 days ago
Karlen91
@Karlen91 Karlen Kishmiryan

I have the same problem too

33 weeks 3 days ago
bofhe
@bofhe jdevelop

Same for me, I can link Google and Facebook accounts using e-mail address, so user can sign into my app with google or facebook, and it's still the same user (if it has email same for both accounts). But twitter stands out of this and I can't come out with easy solution. So vote up.

26 weeks 6 days ago
Bahanix
@Bahanix Julien

Same for me

20 weeks 2 days ago
coendunnink
@coendunnink Coen Dunnink

totally agree! i remove twitter-authentication

12 weeks 5 days ago
NarnoliAshish
@NarnoliAshish Ashish Narnoli

Still no solution for getting Email Id to Authenticate user for my system via Twitter??

10 weeks 4 days ago
Grimor
@Grimor Kizman József

In most systems the users are identified by their email address, and most systems also need to send emails to the customers.

If after the authentication we need to ask the user for additional data, the whole one(or two)-click login feeling disappears which might as well lead to simply not using twitter login.

2 years 10 weeks ago
findandrew
@findandrew Andrew Jordan Miller

exactly my thoughts as well. im just looking into this now, wondering if things are different? but seems like not. le sigh.

13 weeks 1 day ago
heitoralthmann
@heitoralthmann Heitor Althmann

Great answer @Grimor ! Sure it's less usable since we don't have access to the user's e-mail address!

2 years 10 weeks ago
SleepyCrat
@SleepyCrat Frank Jones

The email address is a great way to uniquely identify users. Also storing the email allows a website's authentication system not care about what API the user is using to login into their site, wheather it be twitter,facebook, or OpenID. Also, having the email would keep you from incorrectly creating a new account for a user for your site if they happen to use another method of logging in beside twitter. An example of a site that does this is Stack Overflow. It doesn't care how you login, it still recognizes you as being you.

2 years 10 weeks ago
ramesh_mind
@ramesh_mind Ramesh

if we dont have Email address of the users , then how to we send emails to them, many applications requires email address for this purpose.

2 years 7 weeks ago
episod
@episod Taylor Singletary

That's why you need to simply ask users for the email address if it's something you'd like to have. Yu won't get it from us, it's not part of the data we'll return to you, and so if it's important to you, then you need to collect it on your own terms.

2 years 7 weeks ago
nachocoloma
@nachocoloma Nacho Coloma

You can use scopes to specify if you need access to the email address or not. It is responsibility of the developer to require as few scopes as possible, and it's responsibility of the end user to decide if (s)he wants to allow the application to proceed with the required scope. Twitter is dropping this altogether by not allowing the feature in any case.

If you need a concrete use case, we are providing 6 different OAuth providers (1 and 2) and are implementing email confirmation just for Twitter.

Guys, I understand that users are a pest, but look at the size of this thread. Please reconsider.

1 year 11 weeks ago
Fwit3
@Fwit3 Fwit

i Want to get the email id from twitter using twitter api.plz help me

2 years 6 weeks ago
zweiineim
@zweiineim Nicolas Sax

due to user identification through email, twitter api gets useless if i cant get the email address through it :(

2 years 6 weeks ago
HolyCowist
@HolyCowist Shane Landry

This kind of invalidates any reason to use twitter as sign-up/sign-in method both on the user's end as well as on the application developer's end. Its not as though the user wouldn't be giving permission for this.

Users choose these types of sign-ins to avoid having to fill in long forms with their details. If the details are not available and the user must still supply them, it invalidates the usefulness in terms of a shortcut sign-up/sign-in option.

1 year 51 weeks ago
morguefile_site
@morguefile_site morguefile

This is incredibly short sighted, if I have to "ask" for a users email address after they authorize with twitter, why even bother with a pointless process of authorizing with twitter. Its like getting an axe to break into the woodshed so you can get an axe from the toolshed.

1 year 50 weeks ago
alzclarke
@alzclarke Alan Clarke

this is confusing because a lot of developers see third party oauth techniques as a way to conveniently enable users to skip having to manually provide details such as email addresses, which is why most other third-party oauth providers (e.g. facebook, google) add an extra step where the user can grant permission for the application to access basic account information.

1 year 50 weeks ago
eqnetwork
@eqnetwork EQ Network

Agreed... a prompt like, do you want to allow this app to access your email address... would be very useful... then, at most, the user has click an ok button... rather than filling out details that could be retrieved from twitter account settings.

1 year 49 weeks ago
KassiesCloset
@KassiesCloset Kassie Rempel

In our application, it's important to match users together based on email address to avoid duplication of accounts between standard login, FB, Google and Twitter. Not having access to the email address when someone is signing in with Twitter makes linking their account much less reliable. This is a clear limitation, and users signing on with Twitter should have the option to share their email address as they do when authorizing in FB and Google.

1 year 48 weeks ago
jaspherejash
@jaspherejash Arex L. Pantallano

Twitter signup is useless when we can't get user email... Hopefully twitter is listening... booooo

1 year 48 weeks ago
nateweisiger
@nateweisiger Nate Weisiger

Totally agree. This is a useless sign-in method without providing an email address. No wonder it is rarely provided as an option. Until this is provided, Twitter will never be a serious option.

1 year 48 weeks ago
nikiasoft
@nikiasoft Nikiasoft

I can't believe what I am reading here! I just assumed you could get the users' email like with Facebook sign-in and others. I can remove Twitter as a social sign-in option from my app now again. What a time waster!!
This is completely useless for sign-up/sign-in! Why would I ask the users for their email after they just signed up in my application?? Do as Facebook let the user know during the auth flow, then the user can either take it or leave it.

1 year 47 weeks ago
KosterAndrew
@KosterAndrew Andrew Koster

No way to uniquely identify users across services, without an email address.

1 year 47 weeks ago
leetheguy
@leetheguy Lee Nathan

I totally agree. Having access to the user's email is important for a number of the reasons mentioned.

consistency - why should a user be able to sign up with 2 clicks through facebook but have to enter an email to enter through twitter?

difficulty - the extra step could mean the difference between getting a member and having them bounce

unification - people may want to sign in through facebook one day and twitter the next - if every other auth system uses email and our database is based on email, then we would wind up creating a duplicate account for the user and that's no good

One other word @kurrik. As for your response to just "ask them". We are asking them by requesting that they sign in through twitter. Why should we ask them twice?

1 year 46 weeks ago
polobus
@polobus Polobus

How to get email id.. Please help me anyone.

1 year 45 weeks ago
animeshbuie
@animeshbuie Animesh Nandi

the twitter api doesn't provide the email

1 year 37 weeks ago
xorrox
@xorrox xor

I'm in the midst of designing a new mobile application.

Because I can't get the email out of twitter, unlike Facebook, I will dump Twitter as a signup option. Having the user type his/her email is not an option.

It's a sorry state of affairs. I hope someone is listening.

1 year 45 weeks ago
chumkiu81
@chumkiu81 Luca Rainone

We use external api for login/register users for save time to validate their email. Create form to insert email, create a thank you page, send a confirm email, create an url engine to activate this email, routine for change it... all that only for the simple "just ask for it". No. Simply, just don't use twitter

1 year 45 weeks ago
garrethmcdaid
@garrethmcdaid Garreth McDaid

I'm currently designing a web app. I told the customers I'd set up Sign in with Facebook and Sign in with Twitter.

Took about 30 mins to to the Facebook sign in. Spent a day figuring out the Twitter sign in, and now I've discovered that I can't get the the user's email address. Have told the customer that Sign In with Twitter won't be an option on the web app because without the email address is completely pointless.

EPIC FAIL.

1 year 45 weeks ago