"Tweet" event not working in Internet Explorer

RobinPoint
@RobinPoint Robin Point

I have a problem with tweet button event (Internet Explorer only, works great with other). After "tweet" in the pop-up window it should send a form on the main page, but it seems that IE (tested only on IE 8) doesn't recognize this function at all (whether it's a problem with child window event listening, browser code recognition or something else). Any ideas, alternative moves, fixes?

1. twttr.events.bind('tweet', function(event) {    
  2.     document.forms.form1.submit();           
  3. });
2 years 25 weeks ago

Replies

py
@py Paul Young

I have the same problem. All I'm trying to do right now is:

1. twttr.events.bind('tweet', function(event) {    
  2.     console.log('Tweeted');
  3. });
2 years 25 weeks ago
lifesgoodgirl
@lifesgoodgirl Little Lorly

@py: Hi, were you able to fixed it? Im having the same issue here.

1 year 32 weeks ago
kurrik
@kurrik Arne Roomann-Kurrik

Thanks for the report, I've filed https://dev.twitter.com/issues/88

2 years 25 weeks ago
chanian
@chanian Ian Chan

Hey @RobinPoint, @py

To help debug this issue, can you confirm that you have Flash player installed+enabled (we use Flash as a communication shim in some versions of Internet Explorer). Also, can you verify that your HTML documents have a DOCTYPE set (without it, IE8 can behave strangely), even a:

1. <!DOCTYPE html>

might help solve this problem. Let us know! thanks
-Ian

2 years 25 weeks ago
RobinPoint
@RobinPoint Robin Point

Flash player is enabled (11.0.1.152 version, the newest). DOCTYPE is also fine.
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
Apparently IE doesn't recognize twttr.events.bind at all.
P.S. By the way, is it a special case (for some users only) or it's a problem for all the IE users?

2 years 25 weeks ago
chanian
@chanian Ian Chan

The Javascript Events are currently supported in IE,6,7,8,9. The events should be firing. Have you been able to get the event (tweet, or fav, or follow) on a simple test page? Are any errors being reported by IE? If you have a sample page you could share as well, we can try to help debug the issue at hand.

Let us know!

2 years 25 weeks ago
lifesgoodgirl

Hi @chanian, As you said the javascripts are supported in IE 6,7,8,9. I have this snippet of code below, it has a doc type, but i don't see an alert message that popup. Posting to twitter is fine excepts the alert message. The tweet event is not fired in IE.

1. <head>
  2. <script type="text/javascript" src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js"></script>
  3. </head>
  4. <body>
  5. <div>
  6.    <a href="http://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button"
  7.       data-url="http://www.testsite.com"
  8.       data-text="hello world @"
  9.       data-count="none">Tweet</a>
  10. </div>
  11. <script type="text/javascript">
  12.  twttr.ready(function (twttr) {
  13.  twttr.events.bind('tweet', function(event) {
  14.     alert("Post successful");    
  15.  });
  16.  });
  17. </script>
  18. </body>
1 year 32 weeks ago
RobinPoint
@RobinPoint Robin Point

Finally, it's working. Thanks for the help. Apparently the problem was in DOCTYPE after all. There was a line of code before it (while DOCTYPE is usually supposed to be the first line in the document). Other browsers didn't count that as an exclusion and worked fine, but IE seems to be really caring about the right order of document main attributes.
Anyway, the problem is solved, thanks again.

2 years 25 weeks ago
chanian
@chanian Ian Chan

Excellent! Yeah, IE can be pretty picky about the doctype, glad you were able to sort out the problem. Let us know if you see any other weird problems.

2 years 25 weeks ago
captainpollard
@captainpollard John Pollard

Do you have any example code of what you got to work? Everything I have tried has not worked. I can get the click event to work but not the tweet event no matter the doctype and no matter the IE version.

14 weeks 6 days ago
madebystable
@madebystable stable.

Hi,

I've having a problem in IE8 with this. It just doesn't seem to recognise the tweet event. IE9 absolutely fine. I've tried it on it's own (nothing else on page) and with valid doctype. Any other suggestions on what to check?

Scrub that.. flash wasn't updated (was testing on old xp VM).

2 years 17 weeks ago
lifesgoodgirl

Hi,

I'm having issue with the tweet event in IE too. Tested both IE8 and IE 9. It is not being fired. Doctype is declared. Anyone figured out to fix this issue? Is this twitter issue?

1 year 41 weeks ago
juriejan
@juriejan Jurie-Jan Botha

did you ever manage to resolve this issue?

1 year 28 weeks ago
lifesgoodgirl

No, so i just leave it then. I have no more time for it.

1 year 9 weeks ago
juriejan
@juriejan Jurie-Jan Botha

I'm also having this issue. I've tried various Doctypes but have no success. Any ideas as to what else might be causing this?

1 year 28 weeks ago
manakor
@manakor Nik Sumeiko

Same issue here with IE7/8.

1 year 27 weeks ago
lifesgoodgirl

we got the same issue

1 year 9 weeks ago
DebbieBurfoot
@DebbieBurfoot Debbie Burfoot

My twitter tweet button isn't working, nor can I reply or do anything.was fine but not now.Am using internet explorer 10, fine on phone. On laptop tried google chrome and works on there..any ideas, and I have no idea what or that stuff above you are doing so please explain to me if you can in simple terms...thankyou

1 year 7 weeks ago
71Aaron17
@71Aaron17 Harun

ok so i am having the same issue, although, i am not good with any of this computer stuff ... But i need help haha, any volunteers? any to walk me through it?

48 weeks 2 days ago
SteavePopkin
@SteavePopkin Steave Popkin

Same issue here with IE7/8/9.

34 weeks 6 days ago
captainpollard

I am having this issue and nothing seems to work in IE but everything works for chrome and safari. I've tried various doctypes but can never even get a console message to display for the tweet event. I do get a console message once twitter is ready though. HELP!

1.  twttr.ready (twttr) ->
  2.     console.log('beforetweet')
  3.     twttr.events.bind "tweet", (event) ->
  4.       console.log('just tweeted)
14 weeks 6 days ago
captainpollard

Has anyone got this to work for them??? If so can you push some example code? I can not get the tweet event to work no matter the doctype and no matter the version of IE.

14 weeks 6 days ago
benward
@benward Ben Ward

Hi John,

Thanks for alerting us to this on Twitter—the reappearance of this thread had passed me by, for which I apologise.

Using your test code I'm able to see events working in IE8, 9 and 10 (Windows XP and Windows 7) but IE11 on Windows 8.1 is as you describe, not throwing an event. I've tried the Flash update that @darao_donnell mentions below and that also hasn't helped, so we're going to have to spend a bit of time looking deeper.

IE has been a bit of a troublesome child with cross-window messaging for all time, and it's entirely viable that a new security policy change has broken the messaging codepath again.

I don't have an estimate on how long it'll take to figure out where the break is yet, so in the interim I will note that the click event for the Intent does still fire (it originates in the same document) and you might be able to use that as a reliable fallback in the interim.

Thanks,

Ben

14 weeks 5 days ago
TstFrien
@TstFrien TstFrien

Hi Ben, Any update on a fix for this? Thanks.

5 weeks 4 days ago
TstFrien
@TstFrien TstFrien

This actually works for me in IE 11 but not in 10,9 or 8.

5 weeks 2 days ago
darao_donnell
@darao_donnell Dara O&#039;Donnell

I was having a similar problem, specifically with IE 11 until I upgraded my Flash Player to
version 11.9.900.170, at which point all web intent events started firing again. So now I know that MY browser is fine but how long will it take for everyone else to upgrade?

14 weeks 5 days ago