Search not returning tweets with a url in

One_WTC
@One_WTC One_WTC

If I add a tweet with a url in (any url) then they are not returned in a search. If I add a tweet without a url then these are returned fine. Can anyone shed any light on this?

1 year 42 weeks ago

Replies

episod
@episod Taylor Singletary

This FAQ question covers your scenario:

Why are the Tweets I'm looking for not in Twitter Search, the Search API, or Search widgets?

Twitter's search is optimized to serve relevant tweets to end-users in response to direct, non-recurring queries such as #hashtags, URLs, domains, and keywords. The Search API (which also powers Twitter's search widget) is an interface to this search engine. Our search service is not meant to be an exhaustive archive of public tweets and not all tweets are indexed or returned. Some results are refined to better combat spam and increase relevance. Due to capacity constraints, the index currently only covers about a week's worth of tweets.

The user timeline API is the definitive source of tweets by a specific author. For a collection of recent Tweets by more than one user, consider creating a Twitter List and leveraging the list timeline. The Streaming API is often the best-fit choice when seeking completeness.

If the tweets you're looking for aren't available in search and you think they should be, consult this support topic for further instructions to contact @Support.

1 year 42 weeks ago
One_WTC
@One_WTC One_WTC

Well the tweets are new so it's not a recency issue. Also, I can search other accounts and get tweets with urls in fine. Can you be more specific about why my tweets with urls are not showing up?

1 year 42 weeks ago
episod
@episod Taylor Singletary

Not all tweets are indexed; in this case your tweets with URLs are not being indexed. Consider reaching out to @support if you believe that they should be. Thanks!

1 year 42 weeks ago
KerbOverRoots
@KerbOverRoots Minty95

I have the same problem, normal tweet OK same tweet with a link to my blog doesn't get published, so what to do ?

1 year 28 weeks ago
stella_mac
@stella_mac Penelope

What I've noticed is that it depends on the link and how many followers you have.
When I tweet or retweet a tweet that includes a link from a blog my tweet won't show up on twitter search at all. If the same link is tweeted or retweeted by someone with dozens of followers it shows up on search. If I tweeted a link from a large or important website , even having a few followers or no followers the tweet shows up on search.
It's a little bias from twitter towards important websites and discriminatory towards smaller websites. Not all links are spam just because it's not the New York Times or whatnot

1 year 27 weeks ago
KerbOverRoots
@KerbOverRoots Minty95

I still have this same problem, none of my tweets are shown, indexed when add a link, and this what ever the link, so how do I get the problem solved ?

1 year 25 weeks ago
SmyApps
@SmyApps SmyApps

I have the same problem too...

1 year 25 weeks ago
testenews
@testenews teste

I have exactly the same problem, and I came in here just to report it. You can see in my profile my tweets:

https://twitter.com/testenews
http://search.twitter.com/search.json?q=from%3Atestenews&rpp=100

You can see the tweets containing a URL does not appear in the json.

1 year 25 weeks ago
Legnotek
@Legnotek Legnotek

I now have exactly the same problem. I live and work in Italy. New website was launched 7 months ago - Twitter only just activated and started trying to use it yesterday to post tweets. Tried several simple hashtag tweets - all came up in subsequent search.

Then tried various test tweets with url.
1. Twitter automatic shortener did not appear - forced to use bitly.
2. Tweets with various website url's from our site not indexed.
3. BUT - urls from UK based sites fully indexed.(these were just used for testing)
4. Some US .com url's worked and were indexed. since all deleted.
5.This morning no url tweets indexed at all.
6. Is there a problem that we have a website in Italy that is 'set up' in English?
7. Have tried changing all settings to reflect Italy etc etc but still not working.

Anyone any suggestions? Any previous posters now had any joy?

Without url's in some tweets - our Twitter account is useless.

Have now deleted all tweets until matter resolved.

1 year 24 weeks ago
stella_mac
@stella_mac Penelope

I'm telling you, unless you have loads of followers or you link to an important website, your tweet with an url won't show up on twitter. It doesn't matter where you are. Twitter ignores users with small number of followers linking to smaller websites but it does't ignore them when they link to important websites :(

1 year 24 weeks ago
formagri
@formagri Formagri LMS

I have very little followers because I use this account in a elearning context with search and update API used by many students and teachers.
How and what can I do to see URLs in results of searching API
Adding indexation process to my account by your team is a solution, I think..
Regards

1 year 13 weeks ago
nebojsa_djukic
@nebojsa_djukic Nebojsa Djukic

Do you think that maybe some URLs are banned despite who tweet it?

1 year 24 weeks ago
stella_mac
@stella_mac Penelope

It's not that some urls are banned because the same link I might be tweeting can be tweeted by another user with more followers and it will show up on search, whereas if it is me or someone else with not that many followers then that tweet won't show up on twitter search

1 year 24 weeks ago
Legnotek
@Legnotek Legnotek

Penelope - thanks for being so candid with the info. Tried it - did tweet with url of BBC football premier league - with hashtag of 'italy' to use as search ref - result = immediate posting. Deleted it and did another - hastag 'italy' and url of our website - result = nothing. How right you were!

How many followers do you think that you need before you can join the club?
Is there a magic secret 'important' website list we wonder?

Incidentally, my wife has a very popular cartoon humour blog - position 1 on Google - had it now for over 2 years. From the outset she was able to include the blog's url in her tweets - never a problem. She certainly has no problem now - over 4000 tweets and nearly 2000 followers.

Google has obviously 'moved the goalposts' at sometime in the intervening period.
At least my hashtags work!!!

1 year 24 weeks ago
7rin
@7rin 7rin

@stella_mac Penelope - Thank you!

So basically, Twitter's NEVER EVER EVER gonna help out the smaller user.

Makes me wonder wtf's the point of using it then (only a recent convert, and this issue's been bugging me since I started) when we can't get our voice heard.

1 year 22 weeks ago
PiratenTalk
@PiratenTalk PiratenTalk

same problem with new account :(

1 year 19 weeks ago
pooterdodman
@pooterdodman pooter dodman

I have the same problem. My hashtags work but not when I include a URL link to my Pinterest account. In fact, the URL I enter seems to be printed in full and not converted to the Twitter short-form link on tweeting.

No solutions are available as far as I can see.

1 year 19 weeks ago
fabianbanga
@fabianbanga Fabian Banga

the same issue here. New account + few followers = the tweet will not show up in search. Link for a conference using a #hashtag... it does not work. But!!! I think we have a solution! Google +

1 year 19 weeks ago
formagri
@formagri Formagri LMS

I have very little followers because I use this account in a elearning context with search and update API used by many students and teachers.
How and what can I do to see URLs in results of searching API
Adding indexation process to my account by your team is a solution, I think..

1 year 12 weeks ago
Eaton911
@Eaton911 Scott Eaton

I have the same problem. If I leave out the hyperlink, I find my own tweet just fine. I tried a number of different ways, even using tinyurl on the hyperlink but nothing has worked.
If the problem has to do with my amount of followers this is very disheartening. I have only tweeted a few times. My first tweet with a hyperlink I was able to find immediately. No tweet since then has worked :(
Does this mean that I am screwed?

1 year 10 weeks ago
Mrdangleebitz
@Mrdangleebitz Dan Gleebits

Hi Scott - I finally found this discussion you were involved in after weeks of frustration with Twitter not posting some links. Here's my reply on that forum (you may wish to try the experiment with a "major" site URL vs something smaller. Censorship is alive at Twitter:-

"Thanks for the above discussion. Exactly the same experience and has been pssng me off in the extreme not knowing what the problem was.

Tested the "big boy" (BBC) URL theory vs "small fry" (actually not so small - a major regional newspaper in South Africa) and AT LAST, all is explained.

Here's the "failed" tweet:-

And the #ANC want to take over in the Westen Cape? 100% failed E Cape Municipal audits http://www.peherald.com/news/article/12414

Also tried the tinyurl route and that was blocked. Posted a BBC link with same #ANC hashtag and it popped up immediately on search.

So, Twitter is censoring searches in hashtags where tweets include links apparently not fitting some random category of significance, or possibly something more sinister..

What a crock of sh*t. (Trusting that this post doesn't mysteriously disappear via the Twitter Censor)."

1 year 8 weeks ago
Mrdangleebitz

Thanks for the above discussion. Exactly the same experience and has been pssng me off in the extreme not knowing what the problem was.

Tested the "big boy" (BBC) URL theory vs "small fry" (actually not so small - a major regional newspaper in South Africa) and AT LAST, all is explained.

Here's the "failed" tweet:-

And the #ANC want to take over in the Westen Cape? 100% failed E Cape Municipal audits http://www.peherald.com/news/article/12414

Also tried the tinyurl route and that was blocked. Posted a BBC link with same #ANC hashtag and it popped up immediately on search.

So, Twitter is censoring searches in hashtags where tweets include links apparently not fitting some random category of significance, or possibly something more sinister..

What a crock of sh*t. (Trusting that this post doesn't mysteriously disappear via the Twitter Censor).

1 year 8 weeks ago
Mrdangleebitz

Here's another Tweet that disappeared on Search:

"Censorship alive and kicking on #Twitter? https://dev.twitter.com/discussions/8699 … #BBC"

Fascinating.

Any living non-automated being at Twitter got any comments on this?

1 year 8 weeks ago
dotcal_events
@dotcal_events dotcal_events

This is true, no urls in my API tweets

51 weeks 2 days ago
jlist
@jlist Peter Payne

Same issue here. I got great use out of the RSS feed, allowing me to see when people tweeted about my site URLs (http://jbox.com etc.) and if they had a problem I could swoop in and help them. Now RSS is killed and I don't know what a JSON is. Meanwhile, any manual search for my URLS return...nothing. This will KILL my ability to engage with my users.

Please someone help me figure this out.

43 weeks 5 days ago
aca_coach
@aca_coach Coach academie

Thanks to this page I now know that we are not alone. We integrated twitter in online courses as an online coaching tool, and it works fine. www.kindengezinacademie.be
We asked experts to tweet interesting info in specific online courses, via the # we filter out the specific messages for the specific course. It works fine, as long as the experts do not include hyperlinks to interesting pages.
If i understood it right, following more people and being followed by more people might solve the problem?

21 weeks 2 days ago
stella_mac
@stella_mac Penelope

Yes, unfortunately that’s the case. If you don’t have many followers , tweeting a link from a blog or unknown website, your tweet won’t be seen via the search filter :(

21 weeks 1 day ago
belovedleader
@belovedleader R. E. Warner

It really should be noted that this is true of the REST API for twitter, but not the streaming API. (see https://dev.twitter.com/docs/streaming-apis for more). Granted the streaming API is not as simple to use or very good for one-off uses, it is still possible to dig into the firehouse to get at the tweets you want with URLs sans relevance measures.

19 weeks 2 days ago